I usually like my black metal weird (sometimes aggressively so) and despite the title (doesn't that mean tremendous mystery) this isn't weird, pretty straightforward black metal, but done really right. Makes me think of Darkthrone or Destroyer 666. There are even a couple of folky interludes that I enjoyed, and the rest of the metal isn't folky at all (thankfully). The riffs are buzzing, aggressive and the vocals are just a hate-filled spew. The guitar even reminds me of La Quiete, of all bands. The unrestrained aggression is there in both at least. Good solid old school BM record.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment