A ""cult classic"" that I never heard of till now. Even for 1997 this seems ahead of its time. Leading off with a 15-minute mostly-drone track is a bold move, and the album moves into slightly more identifiable jungle/IDM/drum n bass zones with a dark bent. There are some absolute bangers here from the thumping "Dead (Too)" to the glitchy, disorienting heavyosity of "Damaged III". Feels almost like a predecessor to some of Venetian Snares' darker, more aggressive works. "High Life" is another lengthy droning dark ambient track right before the final cut "My Confession" which is a DnB assault over a sinister and syrupy ambient wash. Exhausting at 77 minutes but an absolute beauty nevertheless.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment