Skip to main content

Roberto Musci & Giovanni Venosta - Urban and Tribal Portraits (Soave, r. 2018)

Last year Soave reissued Roberto Musci's "The Loa of Music", which came out of nowhere and completely stunned me. They also reissued Giovanni Venosta's "Olympic Signals", but I missed that one. After those two debuts in the 80's, Musci and Venosta came together and made "Urban and Tribal Portraits". Similar to the only album I can use as a basis of comparison, "The Loa of Music", it continues in the vein of fourth world music, made in a time when I really can't conjure up anything remotely similar that I'm aware of. This isn't as world shaking as "Loa" for me but still really interesting, 12 tracks of occasionally psychedelic, jazzy, folky, arty, avant garde or otherwise unclassifiable genres informed by Musci and Venosta's "world music" travels. It's a little too scattershot - feels more like a compilation than a cohesive work - but I'm glad I'm getting to know these cats better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool