Tabbed this one because I follow ORAL_records on Bandcamp (Montreal represent) and this sounded pretty cool: "all sounds were captured live at time of the concert thru an app for iPhone developed by the artist. This app connects twelve iPhones with Rode microphones disseminated in the city to the concert hall. All raw feeds are manipulated live by Felix-Antoine". The city in question is Valparaiso, Chile, and Morin does a real credible job during the din of evening streetlife (or what I imagine to be) into an impressive, churning roar. The sad thing is this piece is just 20 minutes long, but the "1" in the title gives hope that there's more to come (or more live manipulations to come). Note that the label has this released as "Coexistensive" but Morin's personal site seems to call it "Coextensive" so that's what I figure is the real title. This slots right in nicely with that Quebec/Alien8 noise scene - for fans of Daniel Menche, Francisco Lopez, Aube, Kevin Drumm...
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment