Skip to main content

Negative Gemini - Bad Baby (100% Electronica, 2018)

A dual stamp of approval, FACT mag's bandcamp round-up and put out on George Clanton's label. First I've heard of Negative Gemini and the descripto sounded cool. It's an EP and she does some really cool takes on pop with an electronic bent. Some of these tunes sound gripped from Aphex Twin or the Prodigy by way of Burial with dreamy, ethereal poppy vocals ala Bjork or Imogen Heap or a not-shitty Gwen Stefani. And the genre bending calls to mind FKA Twigs or Laurel Halo. The EP starts real hot - "Infin Path" and the title track are pop gems, "You Weren't There Anymore" is a cool almost hookless affair. The second half contains a club mix of the title track and a couple other tunes I found less interesting. But there's some real...I don't want to say "potential" here but potential to make something reaaallly mindbending. Definitely of note!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool