Skip to main content

Henry Caravan - A Shrine to a Radiator (Death is Not the End, 2018)

Death is Not the End usually delivers up quality, but I feel like I'm missing a joke here. Henry Caravan is Louis Johnstone (??) is Wanda Group (????) who seems to have recorded this album alone in a room somewhere (I'm picturing a desolate cabin in winter). There's a lot of aimless fingerpicking experimentation that's so angular it sounds like a more purposeless Derek Bailey, and any time it threatens to get interesting Henry steps up to the mic and sings with a voice that indicates he's afflicted with a monstrous head cold, replete with sniffing and snuffing and heavy breathing throughout the tracks. Imagine your co-worker in the cubicle next to you annoying the shit out of you with their cold, and then having them mumblesing into your ear with their mucus and hot breath. Certainly no pleasure to listen to unless, like I said, I'm missing a joke? Either way....no thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool