Laurie Anderson's response to Hurricane Sandy which ruined her Manhattan home, along with the Kronos Quartet...as usual for Anderson this has the sound of a cinematic, multimedia event even if it's (mostly) Kronos' strings with Anderson doing a scant few readings, although they're never boring I wish there were more. The music is of course dramatic and serious and certainly evocative of an impending/occurring natural disaster. I was expecting to be a bit more gripped, it's just OK. Not the fascinating and emotional experience I was expecting.
Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Comments
Post a Comment