Chaos Echoes are a 2xguitar/bass/drums quartet that I have no familiarity with, and Mats Gustafsson is a saxophonist needs no introduction because he plays on a million records a year. Here they team up for Sustain, comprised of two 13-minute pieces. Both are long, droning, bass-y, rumbling, atmospheric ditties that wouldn't be out of place on Southern Lord (Stephen O'Malley provides a blurb here). Overall I feel like the whole band+sax=long form drone thing is a little played and these two pieces are nice but not particularly innovative or challenging.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment