Not sure what prompted me to check in on JOMF, I haven't heard anything from them since 2005/06 with Candyland, America Mystica, Flags of the Sacred Harp, etc. They always struck me as kind of an inbetween band. They've got the post-rock Americana thing going on like Spiritualized (but without the great songs), they've got the improv/collective thing going on like No-Neck, Sunburned, Vibracathedral (but not quite as freaked). Fig. 5 was a formative record for me but beyond that they've been in a lot of limbo. Maybe this is a vein they've been mining recently and I missed out but Bloom has some out-and-out Songs. "The Strike" is one of the most invigorating tunes I've heard from them. "The Pipe" is a drone-y intro track (the band rehearsed in an area surrounded by steel pipes hence the reference) but from there things get fairly straightforward. There's only 6 tracks here and the longest is 8:37 so they've definitely reined it in somewhat, it was an intriguing album but I still prefer the freakier stuff.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment