Skip to main content

Protomartyr - Consolation EP (Domino, 2018)

I don't care for most any new rock bands these days, as this blog bears out, but Protomartyr are awesome. At least, their Relatives in Descent record from last year is, and so is this EP. It's incredibly short - 4 songs, 14 minutes - but these guys are so tight you just want to run it through again right after. The thrust behind this EP appears to be the two tracks featuring Kelley Deal, as they have become friends and collaborators lately (released a split with Deal's band R. Ring too) and those tracks are the meat of this short record. The other two are quick hits both under 3 minutes long. The drumming, as ever, is unreal and thuds in your chest, and Joe Casey is somewhat restrained from the usual wordstew that propagates Protomartyr's music. But yeah these guys rule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool