Gripped W&R's Want record after that release picked up some steam in 2014. I didn't really Get It but I like experimental metal bands, or at least like to keep tabs on them. Alien Pains is a 4-track EP of Guided by Voices covers taken from their Alien Lanes LP. I've never been into GBV (not that I dislike them just not a band I ever investigated). So why devote time to a band I'm not really into covering a band I've never been into? Not sure. These tracks are cool enough, distorted and smashed into W&R's heavy/not metal/pop/whatever approach. "Always Crush Me" is a fave, I'll have to hear the original now...
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment