As mentioned, ACR has had a track record of some outta-nowhere stunners so I pretty much give everything they put out a listen. Herbal Detonators is the new project of their graphic designer Jan Palatý aka Izanasz. It's in one of my favorite formats - short pieces on the theoretical side A, and then a 20-minute sidelong piece on the flip. If there's a vinyl press, this one's ready. What does it sound like? The first side is kind of glitchy, dreamy, electronica that I didn't find too enthralling, but the long track is a great. It sounds very...composed. And sonically, like a collision between Aphex Twin's more ambient outings and Daniel Menche's juddering, repetitive rhythms. I'll be thinking about it for a while, it's a good one.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment