Was suckered in by all the good press this debut is getting, and ten years ago I would've loved it. I see Opeth comparisons thrown around a bit but I don't get that. I even saw some guy throw around Neurosis which is what made me grab it, but that's not it at all either. Conjurer combine so many styles you can see where people are grasping wildly for a basis of comparison. It's a prog/death/metalcore record and I admit they do combine the genres well (even a touch of black metal in there). Spawn of Possession and a sludgy/metalcore band like His Hero is Gone were the names that came to my mind the most. Cult of Luna too. Either way this is ably played just not really my thing anymore and I didn't find it unique enough to give it much attention.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment