Skip to main content

Cut Hands - Rarities I EP (Susan Lawly, 2018)

Never really been into William Bennett's Cut Hands project much, but I keep tabs on it because I'm still a sucker for Whitehouse and anything those guys cook up. Cut Hands always seemed a little...amateurish? I guess? Not harsh enough for noise and the African beats and instrumentation used sound kinda...generic? Like just loop some African drums over a breakbeat and you've got Cut Hands. Nevertheless. There's a few good cuts (ha) on here - "Festival of the Dead Ondo" is where the shtick works best, and is more a fully fleshed out track than we usually get from this project, and "Drink Them Like Milk" has an insistent rhythm (no harshness) that is undeniable. "Prototaxic Distortion" is a slow, menacing more ambient-ish track and "Damballah 58 (Benin Mix)" is one of those predictable repetitive Afro rhythm tracks but it goes on for so long it almost comes back around to being enjoyable. Two other shorter ambient pieces that make up this EP.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool