Skip to main content

Uniform & The Body - Mental Wounds Not Healing (Sacred Bones, 2018)

I wasn't a fan of The Body's I Have Fought Against It, But I Can't Any Longer from earlier this year, mostly because the guest screams of Michael Berdan who is the vocalist of...Uniform. So here's The Body and Berdan's Uniform in full-on collab mode although the album is a scant 27 minutes. But I actually like this a bit better. Berdan's vocals only have one setting, and it's Marv From Home Alone 2 Being Shocked All The Way Up To 11, so it grates after a while. But his vocals are pitched down in the mix here, and he sounds like an insane person screaming in the next room being picked up on the tape, and that's not bad at all. I've never heard Uniform outside of their collabs with The Body and they're a more industrial unit, so that's the flavor of this album - it sounds a lot more like Whitehouse, Ramleh or even Ministry than the pop/doom metal brand of The Body. It was OK enough but nothing that excited me terribly. Big fan of that "Crazy Train" cribbed title though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool