Skip to main content

Death Grips - Year of the Snitch (Third World/Harvest, 2018)

Exmilitary and The Money Store are two A1 albums. Then No Love Deep Web came which was a little more hit and miss, and Government Plates followed which was okay but still more miss than hit. The first disc of The Powers That B, Niggas on the Moon, dropped and it was mostly blah. About that point I checked out for good. It's roughly the same time they went silent and worked on the second disc of TPTB, Jenny Death, for about a year. One day I saw they released a cut from that disc, "Inanimate Sensation", and it rocked my face off. I was back. DxG was back. Jenny Death was released and by far the best thing they'd done since the Exmilitary/Money Store days. Since then they've only gotten more erratic - a couple of instrumental EPs, a one-off with Les Claypool, a 20+ minute "megamix". The next album they released in and amongst those, Bottomless Pit, was fine, not terribly adventurous but not bad. Year of the Snitch falls into that category too and kind of feels like a sister album to Bottomless Pit in some ways. Musically it is quite similar to the "Steroids" megamix, very heavy on the electro and less concerned with hip hop or pop stylings from the past ("Hacker" seems a million years in the past now). There's some good tracks on here, most of them already released as singles - "Streaky", "Shitshow", "Black Paint", "Hahaha". There's a few gibberish tracks on here like "Death Grips is Online", "Little Richard" and "Dilemma". Again kinda like Bottomless Pit which was the same deal. Occasional brilliance, but not consistent on the level they used to deliver. I'll keep staying tuned to what comes next though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Ami Shavit - Neural Oscillations and Alpha Rhythms (Finders Keepers, r. 2018)

Another one I wasn't expecting much from but Finders Keepers always gets a fair shake, this turned out to be surprisingly legit. Influenced by Philip Glass and Tangerine Dream in the 70's, "Ami embarked on an experiment with what he coined Alpha Mood – a state in which the brain is working in relaxation and in which he used music as a means of helping induce his own meditative state". These aren't the droney, spacey, meditative synth pieces you'd expect - they're hypnotic in an active sense, very stimulating and dynamic. Seems not much is left of Shavit's recorded legacy but I'm glad I gave these a shot, very neat.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.