I'm flabbergasted at how much better this album is than Ye. I don't understand. It's so good it's actually making me question if Ye is better than I thought it was, which I don't want to do. What's the reason? Did Kanye and Cudi just push each other? Every song on here is a gem (OK "Fire" is maybe a little weak) - "Feel the Love" with a snarling Pusha verse and an insane machine gun scat chorus. "4th Dimension" with its unreal production and amazing warping of a Louis Prima Christmas song. "Freee", the much-better, insanely catchy sequel to "Ghost Town" from Ye. "Reborn" an absolute corker of a single with Kanye and Cudi getting real about their mental health struggles. "Kids See Ghosts" with a great Yasiin Bey feature although probably my 2nd least fave track. And "Cudi Montage" built around a spiraling scratchy Kurt Cobain demo sample. And just like that it's over and you want to put it through again. I have the rest of the year to figure out if I like this better than Pusha's DAYTONA but I think I might. This is unexpectedly stellar.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment