Felicia Atkinson released a pretty highly acclaimed album last year called Hand in Hand that I didn't really care for, but I checked out her new EP Coyotes...and didn't really care for it either. Atkinson was inspired by a trip she took to New Mexico and her electronic bloops and blorps do an impressive job of recreating an imagined-desert landscape populated by the titular animal, dustswept and wind-torn, but it's like an art exhibit more than an enjoyable piece of music. Admirable but not terribly enjoyable. Pass (again).
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment