I enjoyed Jenny Hval's 2016 album Blood Bitch. This is her first release since, a 20-plus minute EP where she collaborates with several jazz musicians and the album has a loose, organically flowing feel. On "Spells" and the titular 10-minute track her compositions unfurl slowly and patiently. "Composition" is the key word as Hval is a composer in the true sense of the word. I didn't find this EP as interesting as Blood Bitch but she is obviously a talent and I'll stay tuned for what's next.
Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Comments
Post a Comment