Skip to main content

Moderator - Sinner's Syndrome (Melting Records, 2018)

This album is dope. I can't even really figure out why I wishlisted it on Bandcamp. Maybe it was one of those that got recommended to me so much I finally said fuck it, I'll listen. Glad I did! Really knocked me for a loop. Moderator is a young Greek producer who apparently has a couple of albums already under his belt, but I don't know if they can stand up to Sinner's Syndrome. Here he cobbles together wholly new songs, most around the 3 minute mark, from old movie soundtracks, Spaghetti Westerns, spy movies, giallo, the like, augmented with some seriously thick, banging BEATZ...Dan the Automator is a good comparison, indeed some of these sound like they could be Gorillaz instrumentals, or maybe Danger Mouse...definitely a Tarantino vibe to the types of sounds selected here...and while I wouldn't say this sounds like any one thing Mike Patton has done, it sounds like something that would be right at home on his Ipecac label or opening for Fantomas or something. In fact remember that DJ, end.? He put out something on Ipecac that was good, this is less techno-y and more trip hop-y but maybe still in the ballpark. Total homerun. Esp check out the track "The Scene of the Crime" where Mr. Moderator weaves a whole new brilliant pop track out of I don't know what.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool