Skip to main content

Spectral Lore/Jute Gyte - Helian (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

Jute Gyte is one of my new faves since that gibberish album he put out last year that I liked a lot (not in time to get it on the year end list unfortunately) and his track here is psychotic in all the right places. Both artists' tracks are 20 minutes long and both start with the same chord progression before spouting off in different directions. Jute Gyte's is overloaded with drum machine (that's a drum machine right?) fury, nasty vox and totally bizarre keyboard riffs. The Spectral Lore track takes a looong time and a lot of riffing to get going before combusting into a doomy, luddite piece, very spaced out and dissonant. But I gotta give the heavyweight belt to my man Jute, those keyboards are so insanely bizarre and dare I say catchy (not to mention the riffs) that I'm spellbound.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool