I knew Maya Deren for her experimental filmwork. I did not know she traveled to Haiti in the 50's and put out this dope set of field recordings. Alan Lomax's Haiti box is my go to for sounds from the collection (and also the same era) and this is in-step. Chanting, percussion, and a thick heady atmosphere. Just 35 mins (originally a 10", reished here as a 12") but very cool.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment