While we're on the early ambient/psychedelia/kraut reissue tip. You may recall JD Emmanuel coming to the forefront recently with a reissue of his amazing "Rain Forest Music". Randall McClellan is a cohort of Emmanuel and made these and other recordings between '77 and '83, giving multi-hour meditative performances of these 20-40 minute pieces. These came out on cassette in 1983 along with Vol 1 I suppose. Two 20 minute pieces here of long, dreamy, synth-driven ambient drones. Much like Riley again or maybe Popol Vuh or, more contemporaneously, William Basinski. Pretty cool stuff, more blanks being filled in. Not the revelation "Rain Forest Music" was for me but, yknow, nice.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment