Skip to main content

Leviathan - Unfailing Fall Into Naught (Ascension Monuments Media, 2018)

Since Scar Sighted in 2015, Jef Whitehead aka Wrest aka Leviathan has been mostly reissuing old albums and demos. 2018 shows the first stirrings of new Leviathan music with splits with Crawl and Nachtmystium on the docket. But first, some more reissuing. This set is compiled from Leviathan's sides of splits with Xasthur (from 2004) and Sapthuran (from 2006). The first five tracks are from the Sapthuran split, and what kind of doubles-down on the cash grab of this release is that these 5 tracks were already released separately in 2006 - as a record called The Blind Wound on Southern Lord. The newer tracks are sequenced first on the album which is interesting. They certainly sound like the more fully-formed version of Leviathan - blackened, thrashy, serrated as hell. Whereas the older tracks indeed still sound like he's finding his footing - they're slower, a little more doom-y, and with dustier production. They actually sound a bit like Xasthur himself. From the 2006 tracks, "Crushing the Prolapsed Oviducts of Virtue" is a real gem because it's almost got a.......groove? That's menacing and just totally locked in. In the older ones, the title track brings the doomy BM atmosphere while "The Remotest Cipher" is a keyboard-laden, hypnotic stomp. Cool to catch up with some golden era Leviathan, I wouldn't spend any money on this but hey. I've got the Crawl split up next so let's see how he sounds in 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool