I'd never heard of Park Jiha before or the groups she'd played in. Communion is her first solo record - in addition to composing these 7 tracks she plays piri (double reed bamboo flute), saenghwang (mouth organ) and yanggeum (hammered dulcimer). Kim Oki joins her on saxophone & bass clarinet, John Bell on vibraphone and Kang Tekhyun on percussion. This album strikes a fascinating balance between being accessible (I'd almost say catchy) and completely alien - you've almost certainly never heard anything like it. I returned to it time and time again and found it endlessly listenable, sounding not at all like anything remotely "jazz improv" despite the format being there. I can't describe it, just listen.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment