Skip to main content

猫 シ Corp. ‎– 家族. 劳动. 쇼핑. (no label, 2018)

I don't listen to much vaporwave anymore because, let's face it, it's all derivative ass-sucking crap these days. But I still make time for Cat System Corp. for his "mallsoft" classic Palm Mall, some of the best interweaving of that vaunted 80's aesthetic and vaporwave/ocean funk/whatever beats (and straight up dreamy ambience). This one, which I believe translates to Family. Work. Shop., is the soundtrack to an 80-minute VHS CatCorp released compiled of footage shot by the dude himself on business trips, family outings, and so on. I don't have the tape but the soundtrack is all right - unfortunately for me more "soft" than "mall" which is to say less ambience and field recording and more beats, some of which are downright rump-shaking and funky at times. What's undeniable is that CatCorp has clearly grown as a musician, or a producer, or whatever you'd like to call him, far beyond what this genre usually lends itself to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playboi Carti - Die Lit (AWGE/Interscope, 2018)

Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Eartheater - IRISIRI (Pan, 2018)

Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Abstracter - Cinerous Incarnate (I, Voidhanger, 2018)

I was not aware of these guys, who formed in 2010 as a noise duo, and slowly evolved and added more members and turned into a kind of death/blackened doom metal project. They've got ties to other noise acts I don't know (Sutekh Hexen) and other industrial acts I don't know (Only Now). Quite a stew and the band pulls of something that sounds truly different. It's got a tentacle in each of the aforementioned genres but blends them really well. It's quite hard to pin them down in fact. Big, heavy riffs with a production level along the lines of a sludge/black metal record but sharp instrumentation and just a dirty atmosphere...ambient noise passages separate a couple tracks as a nice diversion...very cool