Real strange one. Justin C. Meyers is an instrumental builder, sound artist, label head, etc. Struggle Artist was created during on breaks from his job at a hospital and, later, in his free time once he got laid off (hence the title?). It's a collection of 14 micro-compositions, each one closing in anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes - quickly building, densely layered collections of sounds - field recordings, keyboards, synths, acoustic instrumentation. There's a lot to digest in each of these tracks. It was more admirable than enjoyable but I can't think of anything else it really sounds like. Interesting. I'll keep tabs on Mr. Meyers for what comes next.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment