Soundtracks are soundtracks, and I like the idea of one working just as well as a standalone project. Having Kendrick helm the thing is a pretty good way to ensure success. No, it's not as good as a solo Kendrick album, and it's a bit spotty (as most soundtracks tend to be) but it's solid at the very least with some great cuts - "King's Dead" obviously with that roster of talent, Vince Staples delivers (natch) with "Opps", okay "All the Stars" is pretty flabby but the other radio-ready pop cut "Pray for Me" (w/The Weeknd) is undeniable. Overall it hits more than misses, and I'll come back to it.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment