A first-ever pairing of Japanese jazz giants Akira Sakata and Masahiko Satoh with the Chikamorachi duo of Darin Gray and Chris Corsano facilitating. Sakata is on alto and clarinet (and vox), Satoh on piano, Gray on up right bass and percussion and Corsano thrashing the kit, sounding 72 feet tall here. Just a monster session, swinging between deep-listening improv and all-out aggression. Beauty. Somehow I missed the joint Family Vineyard put out with Sakata, Chikamorachi, Jim O'Rourke and Merzbow, I'll have to right that wrong. But meanwhile - this set is HEAVY.
Eartheater first came on my radar (and many others) with 2 Hausu Mountain tapes in 2015. She makes glitchy, disorienting music, combining electronics and synthesized percussion with voice, guitars and who knows what else. The whole thing is a confusing stew, kind of reminiscent of Inga Copeland but I would say even more detached from "song". Didn't do much for me.

Comments
Post a Comment