I quite liked "Black Ben Carson", and "The Second Amendment" with Freaky. I always have time for JPEGMAFIA. On first listen, as is usually the case with him, it could use a tighter edit. There's a lot of ideas whizzing around on here from song to song. The whole album feels that way, songs often end abruptly as if "Peggy" is switching ideas live. There's a few really good tracks on here - "Baby I'm Bleeding" and "Rainbow Six" (feat. Yung Midpack) in particular stuck out. As a whole it's not terribly cohesive and I'll have to give it a few more listens to see if it sticks.
Playboi Carti has never really been on my radar too much, but then Pfork gave this one a rave review, and I figured I was sleeping...but man, this album didn't do anything for me. Barely any song made any kind of impact. The production is interesting at times but Carti himself gets lost in both that and the whole mass of features all over the album. Nothing gelled for me, so I guess for me I wasn't missing much after all. Oh well.

Comments
Post a Comment